It looks like Samsung’s exploding battery woes may not be behind it just yet. According to a report from The Verge, a Southwest Airlines flight was evacuated this morning when a Galaxy Note 7 began smoking in a passenger’s pocket. Worryingly, the phone wasn’t actually one of the recalled defective units—it was a new model that had already been replaced by ATT just a couple of weeks before.
The plane was still at the gate when the Note 7 caught fire, and all passengers were successfully evacuated with no reported injuries.
Phone and laptop battery explosions do crop up in the news from time to time, but they rarely result in recalls on the scale of Samsung’s. More frequently, they’re the result of physical damage, which appears to be the case for both an iPhone 7 and an iPhone 6 Plus that have made the news for exploding this week.
Whether the Note 7 was physically damaged or not isn’t clear, but it is definitely a replacement Note 7 as denoted both by a black square on its box and a green battery icon. The passenger confirmed that he had picked up the new phone on September 21. We’ve contacted Samsung for comment, and we’ll update the article if we receive a response.