TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) –
Are you looking for a way to help brighten someone’s holiday? Why not Be a Santa to a Senior?
This program is looking for some help from the southern Arizona community. Sponsored by the local Home Instead Senior Care office, it brings together area nonprofits, retailers, numerous volunteers and members of the community to provide gifts and companionship for lonely and isolated seniors.
“It is heartbreaking to think of the senior members of our community spending the holidays all by themselves, without any gifts or any way to celebrate the season,” said Scott Ehrsam, owner of the Home Instead Senior Care office, in a news release. “But all too often, that’s what happens when seniors live alone. It can be a really tough time of year for them.”
The program is hoping to collect 2,500 gifts in order to help make the holidays brighter for more than 2,000 seniors.
The following locations have a “Be a Santa to a Senior” Christmas tree or wreath:
- K-Mart, 7055 E. Broadway Boulevard, Tucson
- HISC Office, 3208 N. Tucson Boulevard, Tucson
- Rocco’s Little Chicago Pizzeria, 2707 E. Broadway Boulevard
- Calvary Christian Fellowship, 3850 N. Commerce Drive Suite 113 Tucson
- Deco Art For Living, 2612 E. Broadway Boulevard, Tucson
- Golder Ranch Fire District, 3885 E. Golder Ranch Drive, Catalina
- Pantano Christian Church, 1755 S. Houghton Road, Tucson
- Curves, 10355 N. La Cañada Drive #157, Oro Valley
Those interested in helping can choose an ornament with a local senior’s first name and their gift request. They can then purchase that gift and turn it over to the store unwrapped, with the ornament tag attached. This will continue until Dec. 12.
Home Instead Senior Care, Love Thy Neighbor Ministries, local churches, and retailers will help with gift collection, wrapping, and distribution.
“During this season of giving, we encourage shoppers to buy a little extra for a local senior,” Ehrsam said. “Your gift – and more importantly the visit that comes with the delivery – could make their holiday season.”
For more information about the program, visit BeaSantatoaSenior.com or call 520-770-9943. Ask for DeAnna, Emily, or Tormay
Copyright 2016 Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.