Get ahead of holiday weight gain! If you’re looking to get proactive by shedding a few pounds before Thanksgiving Day rolls around, give my “3-4-5 Plan” a try.
The rules are simple. In the morning, enjoy any breakfast that’s under 300 calories, eat lunch for no more than 400 calories, and eat a dinner that’s 500 calories or less. You can create your own meals and menu or choose from the nutrient-packed recipes we’ve customized here.
Also, in addition to your three meals, enjoy one to two snacks each day. We’ve included a handy smart list for inspiration.
Breakfast Options: No More Than 300 Calories
- 1 whole egg + 3 egg whites scrambled with any veggie combination (chopped tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, spinach, peppers, green beans, etc.) + 1 slice whole grain toast or 1 orange or 3/4 cup berries
Apple with Peanut Butter
- 1 apple with 2 tablespoons peanut butter
Lunch Options: No More Than 400 Calories
Trim ‘n Slim Salad
- Mixed greens topped with 4 – 5 ounces protein (chicken, turkey, salmon, shrimp or tofu), ½ cup beans, and unlimited non-starchy veggies. Dress with 1 teaspoon olive oil + unlimited vinegar or fresh lemon juice. Alternatively, you can use 2 tablespoons low-calorie vinaigrette.
Open-Faced Turkey Swiss Sandwich
- 1 slice whole grain bread layered with 4 ounces turkey, 1 slice of Swiss cheese, 1 tablespoon mustard or hummus, and preferred vegetables (lettuce, tomatoes, onions, etc.) + 2 cups of baby carrots on the side. If preferred, nix the cheese and enjoy your sandwich on two slices of bread
Soup and Salad
- 2 cups of lentil, black bean, or hearty-vegetable soup + salad layered with non-starchy veggies and dressed with 1 teaspoon olive oil and unlimited vinegar or fresh lemon juice. Alternatively, you can use 2 tablespoons of low-calorie vinaigrette.
Nathan Congleton / TODAY