Winter squash is a quintessential fall food, but it can seem a little bit cumbersome if you’re new to cooking it. Here are some delicious, vegan winter squash recipes to help you enjoy fall’s bounty!
It’s pumpkin spice latte season! As soon as that fall nip gets into the air, winter squash becomes a star ingredient, and with good reason. Pumpkins, acorn squash, butternut squash and other winter squashes are delicious, versatile and just plain pretty. They’re also packed with health benefits.
If you’ve been admiring the pretty, exotic-looking winter squash at the grocery store but aren’t sure how to choose a good one, check out our Winter Squash Guide. It covers the most common winter squash you’ll find at the store and farmers market plus tips for choosing a good one.
Once you’ve picked out your winter squash of choice, it’s time to get cooking. We’ve got you covered with some delicious ways to enjoy this seasonal treat!
16 Ways to Cook Winter Squash
1. Pumpkin Spice Latte – You can use canned pumpkin or a little pureed leftover pumpkin from another recipe to make this healthier take on the Starbucks special.
2. Roasted Butternut Squash Salad – This is a lovely warm salad that’s satisfying enough to fill you up, even on a chilly fall or winter evening.
3. Butternut Squash, Kale and Almond Pie – This hearty vegan pot pie full of fall veggies only has six ingredients (not counting salt and pepper)!
4. Harvest Squash and Sweet Potato Soup – There is no dairy at all in this creamy, comforting soup. Instead, it gets its richness from pureed, seasonal vegetables.
5. Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash – Roasting winter squash brings out its natural sweetness, which pairs so well with slightly bitter Brussels.
6. Quinoa Stuffed Squash – Acorn squash stuffed with quinoa, dried cranberries, and pecans is a cozy dish that would be great on the holiday table, too!
7. Delicata Squash Salad – Warm, roasted delicata squash, sweet persimmons and pistachios take a typical green salad to the next level for fall.
9. Cinnamon Squash Bread – Butternut squash or pumpkin puree makes this quick bread moist and satisfying. And check out the homemade squash icing!
10. Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Pan-Fried Collards – Creamy, pureed squash soup gets a little bit of hearty texture from sauteed collard greens.
11. Pumpkin Chocolate Cake with Ginger – Don’t you love how you can sneak healthy winter squash into sweet treats?
12. Sweet Savory Stuffed Acorn Squash – Cremini mushrooms make this stuffed squash recipe extra hearty.
13. Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding – The beauty of this delicious winter squash recipe is that you can eat it for dessert OR breakfast. It’s fruit sweetened and totally free of refined sugars.
14. Vegan Cornbread Dressing Stuffed Squash – Delicata squash stuffed with homemade cornbread dressing and topped with sweet-and-tart pomegranate seeds would be a beautiful veggie star at the Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner table.
15. Roasted Kabocha Pumpkin – This is one of my favorite ways to cook kabocha squash. You can make this recipe with or without the sugar—it’s delicious either way.
16. Maple-Roasted Butternut Squash – A touch of maple syrup brings out butternut squash’s natural sweetness. Serve this up with your favorite whole grain and green veggie in a big comfort bowl.
Image Credits: All images by recipe authors, used with permission.