From Renee Press at Plant Based on a Budget
Baked in the simplest — and healthiest — crispy coating you can imagine, these green bean fries are heavenly. I picked these green beans from our garden, preheated the oven to 425, snipped their ends and threw them in a bowl with a bit of oil, flax meal — yep! — salt and pepper.
Flax oil can be compromised by heating to high temperatures, but whole or ground flax seeds are heat-stable when baked, up to 660 degrees! Flax meal makes a delicious nutty coating that is high in much needed omega-3s. A nice alternative to breadcrumbs, they are naturally gluten-free. You can buy flax seeds whole — grind as needed in coffee grinder — or pre-ground for an affordable price, just be sure to keep in fridge so they don’t spoil.
Give these a try, they may become your new go-to for green beans!
5 minPrep Time
10 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
- 1 lb fresh green beans, ends snipped
- 3 Tbsp flax meal
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp oil (avocado or other high heat oil)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss green beans with all ingredients in medium bowl until coated well.
- Spread into an even layer on baking sheet, and bake 10-15 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
- Prepare dipping condiment of choice. I highly recommend curry ketchup (ketchup with pinch of curry powder mixed in). Enjoy!
Photo Credit: Plant Based on a Budget