Addictive, sweet-and-salty, Maple-Roasted Almonds are a fun way to sneak in that daily serving of nuts.
Related: Nuts Protect Against Disease
You’ve probably had honey-roasted almonds before, but I think these Maple-Roasted Almonds are even better! They’re sweet and salty, like you’d expect, and they have a little bit of an earthy, woody flavor from the maple syrup. Eat them by the handful or sprinkle them onto your next salad. Either way, you won’t be sorry!
Yields 2 cups, Serving size: 3 Tablespoons
5 minPrep Time
12 minCook Time
17 minTotal Time
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (grade A or B is fine)
- 1 tablespoon organic light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil, or other neutral-tasting oil
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 1 tablespoon organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, sugar, sunflower oil, and sea salt.
- Add the almonds, tossing to coat really well.
- Spread the almonds onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. If thereâ€™s any liquid left in the bowl, use a spoon or rubber spatula to scrape it out, and drizzle it over the almonds.
- Bake for 12-16 minutes, stirring every 4 minutes. If you go past 12 minutes, check in every 2 minutes, to make sure you don’t burn your almonds. Roasted nuts keep cooking after you pull them from the oven, so they’re ready when they’re mostly crunchy, but it’s OK if they’re slightly chewy in the middle.
- Optional: While they’re still warm, sprinkle the almonds with the organic sugar and sea salt.
- Cool completely, then store in an airtight container. They’ll keep for 2-3 days.
* If your pan has stuck-on maple syrup, don’t panic! Let it soak for a few hours or even overnight, and it should wipe clean easily with a sponge.
Fun fact: Raw almonds aren’t actually raw ! But almonds labeled “raw” or “natural” are best for this recipe. “Raw” almonds are steamed, so they’re still soft. Roasted almonds are already crunchy, so roasting them again doesn’t yield the best results.
Related at Care2
- A Dozen Delicious Almond Recipes
- 9 Health Benefits of Almonds
- Adding Nuts to Your Diet Protects Against Disease
Images by Becky Striepe.
Article source: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/maple-roasted-almonds.html