Project includes separate building for memory care
A developer planning construction of a new assisted living facility and memory care center in south Pooler got the blessing of the city’s planning and zoning board Monday.
Planning commissioners voted unanimously to recommend that the city council approve the site plan for Shepherd Living at Savannah Quarters, proposed for the southwest quadrant of the Savannah Quarters development off Easthaven Boulevard. The associated landscape plan for the project was tabled so developers could work out the correct number of trees required.
In a separate vote Monday, the planning commission also approved plans for a new road to the development, which is expected to connect the facility to an existing intersection at Old Quacco Road and Pooler Parkway.
According to a project narrative submitted to the city, the development calls for a 65,448-square-foot assisted living building and a 25,519-square-foot memory center, along with paving, utility and other associated infrastructure on a 10-acre site. Speaking on behalf of the developer, John Stephan with the Erdman Co., said 42 rooms are planned for the memory center, and another 82 rooms are planned for the assisted living facility. The two buildings will be divided by a courtyard.
Stephan said the Florida company developing the facility has constructed one similar location, which is in north Alabama.
During an introduction of the project at a city council workshop back in August, Pooler City Manager Robbie Byrd said the new facilities are greatly needed.
“This is going to be an awesome project,” the city manager said at the time.
In other business Monday, the planning and zoning commission:
• Approved a minor subdivision plat for a lot in the Morgan Lakes Development Park. Although one resident asked the planning commission to deny the requested subdivision, as it allows for more warehouses on the site, the planning commission supported the request unanimously.
• Voted to recommend approval of site and landscape plans for two new warehouse facilities in the Bassford Industrial Park.
• Approved site and landscape plans for a 27,000-square-foot repair facility in the existing Dorsey Tire complex on U.S. 80.
• Voted to recommend approval of site and landscape plans for a Battery Warehouse on a 1.9-acre site in the Westside Business Park.
• Signed off on site and landscape plans for a Kauffman Tire store at 820 Towne Center Blvd.