If you’re not using your Instant Pot’s yogurt function, I encourage you to give it a go with this Unfiltered Coconut-Cashew Instant Pot Yogurt recipe!
When I first got my Instant Pot a couple of years ago, I was sure that I’d never use the yogurt function, and I’m not alone. A lot of my friends who’ve gotten Instant Pots recently have told me they’re intimidated by the yogurt thing.
But take it from me—making yogurt in the Instant Pot is so easy! I went from shying away from the yogurt function to making soy yogurt in our Instant Pot roughly once a week.
Notes about Making Coconut-Cashew Instant Pot Yogurt
The base for this recipe is homemade coconut-cashew milk. You make this recipe right in your blender. If you have a high speed blender, it takes about one minute on high. For a regular blender, just keep on blending until you have a nice smooth mix.
Instead of a yogurt starter, which not everyone can find, this recipe uses plain vegan yogurt as the starter. When you’re choosing your vegan yogurt, it’s important that you use a plain variety. Flavors like fruit or vanilla can come through in the finished product.
It’s also important that you choose a yogurt that you like eating for your starter. I have made this with yogurt that had a strange-to-me taste or texture, and those qualities come through in the finished product.
This yogurt has a lovely coconut flavor, plus some protein and extra health benefits from whole cashews. Because it’s unfiltered, it has a bit more texture than store-bought vegan yogurts. If you want a totally smooth finished product, just blend the cashews and water, then strain through cheesecloth or a nut milk bag back into your clean blender. Add the coconut milk, agave nectar and starter yogurt, then blend again, and follow the rest of the recipe as written.
Unfiltered Coconut-Cashew Instant Pot Yogurt is soy free and easy to make. You can replace the tablespoon of agave nectar with maple syrup or organic sugar if you like, but do not omit it. The sugar is food for the bacteria that’s going to thicken your yogurt.
Yields about 4 1/2 cups
Don’t fear your Instant Pot’s yogurt function! Let this recipe for Unfiltered Instant Pot Cashew Yogurt help you overcome your anxiety.
10 minPrep Time
12 hrCook Time
12 hr, 10 Total Time
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews soaked in hot water for 10 min, then drained
- 1 cup fresh water (NOT THE SOAKING WATER)
- 1 13.6 ounce can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 6 tablespoons store-bought vegan yogurt
- Puree the cashews, water, coconut milk, agave nectar, and store-bought yogurt in your blender until they’re completely smooth.
- Divide the coconut-cashew mixture between three pint sized mason jars, and place the jars directly into your Instant Pot. Do not use the rack, and do not add any water to the pot. Set the valve at the top to Sealing.
- Press the Yogurt button on your Instant Pot, and set it for 12-14 hours, depending on how tart you like your yogurt.
I know, 12-14 hours is a long time. I suggest starting your yogurt before you go to bed, timing it out, so it’s ready when you’re typically waking up in the morning. So, if you’re usually up by 8am, start a 12 hour batch of yogurt at 8pm.
Related at Care2
- Health Benefits of Cashews
- If you take probiotics, you also need these.
- 10 Vegan Sources of Probiotics