I love these quinoa tater tots so much that I ate almost all of them immediately. I found the recipe online, removed all the non-vegan ingredients — like eggs — and added a few additional ingredients to improve the taste. Personally, I think they taste a lot like tater tots but with way better ingredients.
I imagine you could probably bake these instead of cooking them in a pan, but that’s how I did it — and they came out great! Pair your tots with some of your favorite dipping sauces: ketchup, BBQ sauce, etc.
Recipe: Quinoa Tater Tots
From Jake Conroy at Plant Based on a Budget
- Prep Time: 25m
- Cook Time: 15m
- Ready In: 40m
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5 button (brown) mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (adjust to desired spiciness. This is a mild-medium level)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons of non-dairy, unsweetened, unflavored milk (I used original rice milk)
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Oil for cooking (You can forgo the oil if you have a non stick pan, or try baking them)
- In a bowl, mix together the quinoa, onion, mushrooms, chives, flour, red pepper flakes and salt. Mix until combined and thick.
- Add the lemon juice and non-dairy milk, and mix thoroughly.
- Roll into small balls. Place on a plate or tray, and put in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat, and cook the tots until golden brown on both sides — about 5 minutes a side.
Photo Credit: Plant Based on a Budget