Removing a wasp nest is a tricky and potentially dangerous operation, especially in late summer through the fall, when the nest may contain as many as 5000 aggressive insects. Better to be safe than sorry, particularly if anyone in your household has a wasp sting allergy. Contact a reliable pest control professional, who has the knowhow and the equipment to treat your wasp nest problem quickly and efficiently, without endangering you, your children, pets, or garden produce. In addition to wasp nest removal, there are several other solutions:
- Spraying the nest with natural insecticide or soapy water
- Drowning the nest and its occupants
- Trapping the wasps
- Hanging an artificial wasp nest to discourage future nest construction
Wasp Sting First Aid
A wasp sting is painful for anyone (and often continues to hurt for 2-5 days), but for the 2 million Americans who are allergic to wasp venom, it can be life-threatening. Serious wasp sting reactions sometimes include rash, swelling, sudden drop in blood pressure, and difficulty swallowing or breathing. If you’re sure that the person affected does NOT have a wasp sting allergy and their reaction is relatively mild, follow these treatment tips:
- Remove the stinger with the edge of a credit card.
- Take off any tight-fitting jewelry, in case the stung area swells.
- Wash the wasp sting with soap and water, to get rid of remaining venom.
- Apply an ice pack to reduce swelling.
- Take an anti-inflammatory for pain and an antihistamine against itching.
For a patient who is definitely—or even possibly—allergic to wasp stings:
- Call 911 immediately.
- Inject the person with epinephrine, if available.
- Have them examined ASAP by emergency medical personnel.
By Laura Firszt, Networx.