As mechanical ventilation becomes a part of the building codes, proper installation is vital for making sure the systems perform as planned.
A poor installation can lead to indoor air quality problems and poor energy efficiency in the home.
Here are some installation tips from Zehnder America, manufacturers of ERV and HRV systems for residential and commercial use.
1. Air seal and insulate both intake AND exhaust ducts. Zehnder recommends making sure both ducts are well air sealed and insulated. Most installers understand to air seal and insulate intake ducts but air sealing exhaust ducts is just as important.
Problems with not air sealing and insulating exhaust ducts:
- Heat loss
- Duct surface condensation/moisture issues
2. Double check the ductwork connections before sealing wall
- Much harder to access ductwork once wall is sealed up
- Reduces time spent on fixes such as supply and exhaust ducting not installed in correct rooms
3. Don’t run the HRV/ERV system during construction
- Prevents damaging the unit during construction
- Prevents dust and debris compromising ducts, filters, unit, etc.
4. Take advantage of Installation Support
- Look for companies that offer installation support
Manufacturers such as Zehnder offer videos and manuals online and are available by phone or online for installers to talk directly with technical support about project questions.